AugustAUSTRALIAN EMBASSY ROME:
Passports enquiries: 06.852721
Office hours: Monday to Friday: 9.00 / 14.30
All Australian citizens must lodge their passport application in person. Please call our office in advance to set an appointment.
1. You may complete an application form online at www.passports.gov.au or request one from the Australian Embassy. NOTE: Adult applicants who have a current Australian Passport or one which has expired in the last 24 months may be eligible to use the one page (PC7) application form. Contact the Embassy or visit www.passports.gov.au for more information.
2. Please use a BLACK PEN and print in BLOCK LETTERS within the boxes when completing the application.
3. All certificates must be ORIGINALS. Italian certificates (birth, marriage, death etc) must be issued in the “international” form (formato internazionale or plurilingue) OR be accompanied by an official English translation. Photocopies will not be accepted.
4. "Declaration by Guarantor" (section 12) must be completed and signed by a person who is either an Australian passport holder OR is one of a specific group of professionals. E.g.: doctor, solicitor, priest, public servant, police officer, teacher, chartered accountant etc. with a minimum of 5 years service and who has known the applicant for at 12 months. Please call our office for a complete list of guarantors. Guarantors who hold an Australian passport do not need to belong to a specific group of professionals and should complete Section 12 A of the application form. Guarantors cannot be related to the applicant.
5. Your new passport may be returned to you by post or collected in person. The original receipt and an authorisation from the applicant must be produced if the passport is collected by someone other than the applicant. An additional fee of €6.00 applies if the new passport is to be delivered to you by registered mail.
6. A Marriage certificate or Change of Name certificate issued by the Registrar of Births Deaths and Marriages is required for women who choose to apply in their married name for the first time or wish to return to their maiden name. Please note that it will be necessary to legalise your marriage certificate if it was issued outside of Australia. We recommend that you contact the Embassy for further instructions.
7. Proof of citizenship:
a) Full Birth Certificate issued by the Registrar of Births Deaths and Marriages for applicants born in Australia. Please note that Commemorative birth certificates are not acceptable. If born after 20/8/1986 you will also need to provide a previous passport issued after 01/01/2000 or proof that one of your parents was an Australian citizen at the time of your birth.
b) Australian citizenship certificate for applicants born outside of Australia. If your citizenship certificate does not detail sex, date and place of birth, you must also provide your original birth certificate. If you are unable to provide a full birth certificate, you should provide a foreign passport showing sex, date and place of birth.
8. Please consult the photographs information on the passports website to read the relevant instructions. We require two photographs which must measure at least 45mm x 35mm. The size of your head within the photograph must measure from the bottom of your chin to the crown of your head 32mm x 36mm. You must have a neutral expression, i.e. DO NOT smile or show teeth while having the photos taken and carefully check the size requirements. One of the photographs must be endorsed by the guarantor who has completed section 12 of the form. Please check page 4 of the application form for additonal information regarding photographs. Photographs taken at photo booths are not acceptable as they are of poor quality.
9. Provide the Australian passport you are seeking to replace. (i.e. your most recently issued passport) unless it has been lost or stolen.
10. Provide 2 original identification documents. For example, one from each list below would be suitable:
a) Driver\'s licence OR government issued identity card OR permesso di soggiorno
b) Codice Fiscale OR foreign passport OR government health card OR bank card.
In the case of minors, one document bearing signature and photo is required from each parent.
11. All passport applications lodged overseas will incur an additional fee. The overseas surcharge will be A$102 for all adult applications and A$51 for all child applications. The surcharge does not apply to Emergency Passports.
Fees - December 2016
Adult 10 year validity: €243.00 ( € 173.00 + Overseas adult Surcharge of € 70.00 )
Minor 10 year validity 16 or 17 years of age : € 208.00 ( € 173.00 + Overseas child Surcharge of € 35.00 )
Minor 5 year validity up to 15 years of age : € 122.00 ( € 87.00 + Overseas child Surcharge of € 35.00 )
Frequent Traveller’s Passport :
€ 331.00 ( € 261.00 + Overseas Surcharge of € 70.00)
75 years of age or over- 5 year validity: € 157.00 ( € 87.00 + Overseas adult Surcharge of € 70.00 )
Please note that all fees are payable in Euros only and have to be paid in cash at the counter when you attend in person. The postage fee for the return of the new passport by registered mail is Euro 6.00.