Coronavirus (COVID-19) Notice
*** The COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted global travel to an unprecedented extent.
If you’re trying to get home to Australia, and can still book commercial flights, do so as soon as possible. If you can't leave or prefer to stay where you are, make plans to remain for an extended period. Ensure you have a safe place to stay, follow the advice of local authorities and minimise your risk of exposure to COVID-19. Stay in touch with family and friends so they know you're safe. For more information see our Coronavirus (COVID-19) – information for Australian travellers page.***
You can only travel to Australia if you are an Australian citizen, a permanent resident, an immediate family member of an Australian citizen or permanent resident or are a New Zealand citizen usually resident in Australia. Travellers who have a compassionate or compelling reason to travel to Australia will need to have an exemption from the Australian Border Force Commissioner. All travellers arriving in Australia must undertake a mandatory 14-day quarantine at designated facilities (for example, a hotel), in their port of arrival. For more information see the Australian Department of Home Affairs website
If you have a passport, notarial or consular emergency, please email the Embassy on [email protected] or call us on +39 06 852721. For urgent consular assistance after hours please contact +61 2 6261 3305 from overseas, or 1300 555 135 from within Australia. For general information, please visit Smartraveller.gov.au.
We provide consular assistance to Australian citizens travelling or living in Italy, San Marino, Albania and Libya. Our capacity to assist you is influenced by local laws and conditions, international rules governing consular work, and by the cooperation offered by persons and organisations outside the Australian Government.
Please visit the Consular Services Charter to find out more information on the consular services and assistance that can be provided by the Australian Government.
Emergency Consular Assistance
If you are an Australian Citizen in need of emergency consular assistance, please contact:
the Embassy Switchboard (within Italy): (+39) 06 852721 – or ph: (+61) 266213305 – ph: 1300555135 (within Australia) - SMS (+61) 421269080.
What we can and cannot do
Assisting Australians overseas within limits.
Travel information for Australians
Get the latest travel advisories and other traveller hints from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
Living in Country
- Taxation issues
- International driving permits
- Birth, marriage and death certificates
- Police clearances
- Marriage overseas
- Authentications and apostilles
- See also information about Australian living overseas
- Centrelink Overseas
- Working Holiday Agreement
Returning to Australia
Handy information for Australians or residents returning from a holiday or moving back to Australia.
Personal Information provided to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) is protected by law, including the Privacy Act 1988. We may collect, use and disclose your personal information, including to overseas recipients where we reasonably believe it is necessary, to provide you with consular assistance. Important information about the privacy of your personal information is contained in our Privacy Collection Statement, which you should read and understand. Copies of the Statement are available here or by requesting a copy from the Department.
In order to limit in-person appointments at present, you may apply for a Limited Validity passport or an Emergency passport by mail.
If you are making arrangements to attend for an interview please see requirements for a full validity passport here
Passport applications and notarial services
Appointment bookings are required for passport applications and notarial services. Clients without an appointment will only be seen in exceptional circumstances. Limited in-person appointments are available for passport and notarial services at present
· For appointment information at the Australian Embassy in Rome please call +39 06 852721 or email [email protected]
· For appointment information at the Australian Consulate-General in Milan please call +39 02 7767 4200 or email [email protected]
Full Validity Passports
All Australian citizens must lodge their passport application in person in order to receive a full validity passport. Please note that child applications should be lodged in person by a parent or person with parental responsibility for the child. The parent or person lodging the application is not required to be an Australian citizen, but will need to bring photographic proof of their own identity to the appointment.
All passport applications lodged overseas will incur an additional fee. The overseas surcharge will not apply to emergency passport applications.
Additional information may be found at www.passports.gov.au or by selecting one of the links below:
- Apply for a passport application online
- Special Requirements PC8 - This form has to be used for child applications, if you are applying for your first Australian passport or replacing a passport which has been expired for over 36 months or that is lost or stolen.
- Special Requirements PC7 - This form may be used if you are an adult replacing a passport which is still valid or which expired within the last 36 months. Please consult www.passports.gov.au for additional information or to print your form.
- Reporting a lost or stolen passport
- For appointment information at the Australian Embassy in Rome please call +39 06 852721 or email [email protected]
- For appointment information at the Australian Consulate-General in Milan please call +39 02 7767 4200 or email [email protected]
Temporary Passport Arrangements during Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic - Applying for a temporary passport by mail
In order to limit in-person appointments it is possible to apply for a Limited Validity passport or an Emergency passport by mail.
What to include with your application
- A fully completed passport application form
- Two compliant passport photos
- Photocopy of your most recent passport (photo page only)
- B11 General Declaration detailing the stay-at-home or travel restrictions in your city or state that prevent you from attending an interview
- Credit card authorisation form for payment
- Airline tickets or other evidence of travel (if travelling within 3 weeks)
- For clients submitting the PC8 Application for an Australian Passport Overseas form (e.g. child applications, first time applicants, replacement of lost/stolen passports), you should also include photocopies of all required documents including: proof of citizenship, birth certificates, name change documents (including for parents), and a proof of identity combination (including proof of address). Please make sure you include a copy of both the front and back of each document.
Where to send your application:
Applications should be mailed to: Australian Embassy, Via Antonio Bosio 5, Rome 00161 - marked to the attention of the Passport Office. Please call the Australian Embassy in Rome +39 06 852721 or email [email protected] prior to sending the application.
If applying at the Australian Consulate-General in Milan, please call +39 02 7767 4200 or email [email protected] prior to sending your application. Applications should be mailed to : Australian Consulate-General, Via Borgogna 2, Milan 20122
Once we receive your application, we will contact you to arrange an interview. Generally this will be within 1-2 business days of receiving your application.
CLIENTS WITH SCHEDULED TRAVEL WITHIN 3 WEEKS may apply for an emergency passport : this will generally be issued within 2 working days of receiving a complete application.