Services for Australians Overseas
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Notice
*** We now advise all Australians to reconsider any non-essential overseas travel at this time, due to the health risks from the COVID-19 pandemic and the significant disruptions to global travel***
The Embassy wants to provide a safe environment for both staff and visitors and we ask that everyone adhere to the advice of local authorities. In support of host government protocols in place, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Australian Embassy in Rome has decided to postpone all non-urgent appointments until further notice.
If you have a passport, notarial or consular emergency, please email the Embassy on [email protected] or call us on +39 06 852721. Please only call/email us if you need to travel urgently within the next two months. For urgent consular assistance after hours please contact +61 2 6261 3305 from overseas, or 1300 555 135 from within Australia. For general information, please visit Smartraveller.gov.au.
Passport applications and notarial services
How to book an appointment for passport and consular services
Appointment bookings are required for passport applications and notarial services. Clients without an appointment will only be seen in exceptional circumstances. Appointments can be booked here .
What we can and cannot do
Assisting Australians overseas within limits.
Travel information for Australians
Get the latest travel advisories and other traveller hints from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
All Australian citizens must lodge their passport application in person. Please note that child applications should be lodged in person by a parent or person with parental responsibility for the child. The parent or person lodging the application is not required to be an Australian citizen, but will need to bring photographic proof of their own identity to the appointment.
All passport applications lodged overseas will incur an additional fee. The overseas surcharge will not apply to emergency passport applications.
Additional information may be found at www.passports.gov.au or by selecting one of the links below:
- Apply for a passport application online
- Special Requirements PC8 - This form has to be used for child applications, if you are applying for your first Australian passport or replacing a passport which has been expired for over 36 months or that is lost or stolen.
- Special Requirements PC7 - This form may be used if you are an adult replacing a passport which is still valid or which expired within the last 36 months. Please consult www.passports.gov.au for additional information or to print your form.
- Reporting a lost or stolen passport
Please set an appointment for the consular or passport services you require.
Living in Country
- Taxation issues
- International driving permits
- Birth, marriage and death certificates
- Police clearances
- Marriage overseas
- Authentications and apostilles
- See also information about Australian living overseas
- Centrelink Overseas
- Working Holiday Agreement
Returning to Australia
Handy information for Australians or residents returning from a holiday or moving back to Australia.